Aylesbury Vale Parking Charges Rise Today
6:02am 23rd April 2012
The cost of parking-up in some of our towns rises today.
Earlier this year, AVDC decided to hike parking charges in Aylesbury, Buckingham and Wendover.
* Parking for up to an hour in Aylesbury's short stay car parks between 8am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday will change from 90p to £1
* A new charge of £2 for parking between one and three hours will be introduced. This new charge reduces the cost of parking for between two and three hours and it's hoped this will encourage visitors to stay longer in the town.
* Introduction of a £1 flat fee for parking on Sundays and public holidays in Aylesbury.
* Charges at the Wendover Library Car Park will increase from 40p for up to two hours to 50p and from 60p for up to three hours to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
* Parking tariffs at the Cornwalls Meadow car park in Buckingham will rise from 30p for the first two hour period to 50p while parking for three hours will change from 50p to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
AVDC is not the first authority locally to introduce Sunday charges. At present, Milton Keynes and High Wycombe charge on Sundays, as does Banbury, Bicester and Hemel Hempstead.
Councillor Brian Roberts, Cabinet Member for Civic Amenities told Mix 96: "We recognise the importance of our local shops and businesses, which is why we have done our best to peg charges to date despite the very difficult financial pressure the council is under generally. But we have no choice other than to raise the money we earn from our assets, like the government recently said that all councils should do, if we are to protect and maintain essential services in the district."
Cllr Roberts added: "We have already made significant savings and we know that we will need to make further savings over the coming years. This is why we have to make these decisions now, so that we are prepared for the future. "
Brian concluded: "This is a chargeable service, and although we have introduced these changes, the charges in our car parks still compare very competitively with other towns in our local area."
Share This StoryTweet
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.
Community group celebrates 35 years
Local: Even two of the volunteers at Waddesdon's Wednesday Club have been there since day one!
RBS sets aside more funds as investor lawsuits near settlement
National: The ghost of Fred Goodwin will return to haunt Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) again this week when his former employer is forced to set aside millions of pounds more to settle legal action brought by major City shareholders.
HS2: 'It's Stolen My Time & Things I'd Promised Myself For 40 Years'
Local: Stan Mason is 79 and has been fighting the High Speed route for over 6 years. We wanted to see how that's affected him
Mamma Mia! ABBA reunite for 'new digital experience'
Showbiz: Swedish pop group ABBA are to reunite for a "new digital experience" next year, it has been announced.
Molina hopes to be handed shot at Joshua
Sport: Eric Molina hopes to learn whether he will be challenging Anthony Joshua as promoter Eddie Hearn considers new opponents.
Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star 'attacked with sledgehammer'
World: Donald Trump's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been vandalised after reportedly being attacked by a man wielding a sledgehammer and a pick-axe.