Aylesbury Vale Parking Charges Rise Today
6:02am 23rd April 2012
The cost of parking-up in some of our towns rises today.
Earlier this year, AVDC decided to hike parking charges in Aylesbury, Buckingham and Wendover.
* Parking for up to an hour in Aylesbury's short stay car parks between 8am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday will change from 90p to £1
* A new charge of £2 for parking between one and three hours will be introduced. This new charge reduces the cost of parking for between two and three hours and it's hoped this will encourage visitors to stay longer in the town.
* Introduction of a £1 flat fee for parking on Sundays and public holidays in Aylesbury.
* Charges at the Wendover Library Car Park will increase from 40p for up to two hours to 50p and from 60p for up to three hours to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
* Parking tariffs at the Cornwalls Meadow car park in Buckingham will rise from 30p for the first two hour period to 50p while parking for three hours will change from 50p to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
AVDC is not the first authority locally to introduce Sunday charges. At present, Milton Keynes and High Wycombe charge on Sundays, as does Banbury, Bicester and Hemel Hempstead.
Councillor Brian Roberts, Cabinet Member for Civic Amenities told Mix 96: "We recognise the importance of our local shops and businesses, which is why we have done our best to peg charges to date despite the very difficult financial pressure the council is under generally. But we have no choice other than to raise the money we earn from our assets, like the government recently said that all councils should do, if we are to protect and maintain essential services in the district."
Cllr Roberts added: "We have already made significant savings and we know that we will need to make further savings over the coming years. This is why we have to make these decisions now, so that we are prepared for the future. "
Brian concluded: "This is a chargeable service, and although we have introduced these changes, the charges in our car parks still compare very competitively with other towns in our local area."
Share This StoryTweet
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.
18 Year Old Charged With Murder After Aylesbury Stabbing
The 26 year old victim has also been identified by Police as Daniel Lavender from Aylesbury.
Aylesbury Vale Academy gets 'inadequate' rating
The judgement was made following a recent inspection by Ofsted.
Murder investigation launched after 26-year-old stabbed in Aylesbury
Police have arrested an 18-year-old man.
Bucks man charged for exposure, sexual assault and violence
The man from Winslow was charged on Monday.
£4,000 For Florence Nightingale Hospice
Local: Three Women have trekked through the Andes and raised thousands for the hospice.
Agent Provocateur chief's future in doubt amid sale talks
National: The chief executive of Agent Provocateur is in talks about his future with the lingerie retailer as it progresses an urgent plan to inject new funds into the struggling business.
HS2: 'It's Stolen My Time & Things I'd Promised Myself For 40 Years'
Local: Stan Mason is 79 and has been fighting the High Speed route for over 6 years. We wanted to see how that's affected him
Trainspotting: Ewan McGregor admits he had 'bad sequel' fears
Showbiz: Ewan McGregor has told Sky News he was worried about tarnishing the reputation of the original Trainspotting with a bad sequel - but that all his reservations were forgotten after reading the script.
Two baseball stars die in separate car crashes in Dominican Republic
Sport: Two Major League Baseball stars have been killed in separate car crashes in Dominican Republic.