Aylesbury Vale Parking Charges Rise Today
6:02am 23rd April 2012
The cost of parking-up in some of our towns rises today.
Earlier this year, AVDC decided to hike parking charges in Aylesbury, Buckingham and Wendover.
* Parking for up to an hour in Aylesbury's short stay car parks between 8am and 6.30pm Monday to Saturday will change from 90p to £1
* A new charge of £2 for parking between one and three hours will be introduced. This new charge reduces the cost of parking for between two and three hours and it's hoped this will encourage visitors to stay longer in the town.
* Introduction of a £1 flat fee for parking on Sundays and public holidays in Aylesbury.
* Charges at the Wendover Library Car Park will increase from 40p for up to two hours to 50p and from 60p for up to three hours to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
* Parking tariffs at the Cornwalls Meadow car park in Buckingham will rise from 30p for the first two hour period to 50p while parking for three hours will change from 50p to 70p. (The first hour remains free).
AVDC is not the first authority locally to introduce Sunday charges. At present, Milton Keynes and High Wycombe charge on Sundays, as does Banbury, Bicester and Hemel Hempstead.
Councillor Brian Roberts, Cabinet Member for Civic Amenities told Mix 96: "We recognise the importance of our local shops and businesses, which is why we have done our best to peg charges to date despite the very difficult financial pressure the council is under generally. But we have no choice other than to raise the money we earn from our assets, like the government recently said that all councils should do, if we are to protect and maintain essential services in the district."
Cllr Roberts added: "We have already made significant savings and we know that we will need to make further savings over the coming years. This is why we have to make these decisions now, so that we are prepared for the future. "
Brian concluded: "This is a chargeable service, and although we have introduced these changes, the charges in our car parks still compare very competitively with other towns in our local area."
Share This StoryTweet
|Get the latest local news direct to your inbox.
Sign up now for our email updates.
The return of Aylesbury Duck to the Vale as business grows
The Green Eco Farm Centre has just hired a new Michellin star chef and are helping bringing back the Aylesbury Duck.
Aylesbury daughter trying to raise £60,000 for dad's treatment
A daughter from Aylesbury whose Dad has been in hospital for two years is trying to raise enough money to treat him privately.
Teenager missing in Tring
Jamie Drake has been reported missing for four days and is thought to be in the Dacorum area
'Bypass is NOT the answer to Aylesbury's traffic woes'
That's from one former councillor, who says the issue is the amount of new homes planned
Better rail & roads would mean expanding Risborough flourishes
Local: That's according to one group representing the town, in a series of letters sent into Wycombe District Council
Amazon Go UK grocery store takes step forward as trademark registered
National: Amazon has given a clear hint that it intends to expand its cashier-free grocery store into the UK, as the threat to jobs from technology gathers pace.
HS2: 'It's Stolen My Time & Things I'd Promised Myself For 40 Years'
Local: Stan Mason is 79 and has been fighting the High Speed route for over 6 years. We wanted to see how that's affected him
Spider-Man teams with Iron Man in new Homecoming trailer
Showbiz: The first trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming sees the wall crawler team up with Tony Stark to fight Michael Keaton's flying villain.
Russian doping cover-up 'helped 1,000 athletes'
Sport: Over 1,000 Russian athletes in 30 summer and winter Olympic and Paralympic sports benefited from a systematic cover-up of doping including London 2012 medalists.