Sister Sledge: Thinking of YouiTunesAmazon

Mix96 News

EDL March In Aylesbury Passes Off Without Major Incident

Two people were arrested during yesterday's demonstration, police have thanked the public for their co-operation.

Published by the Mix96 News Team at 9:55am 11th October 2015. (Updated at 10:40am 16th April 2020) 3-minute read.

EDL March In Aylesbury Passes Off Without Major Incident

Demonstrations held in Aylesbury on Saturday have passed off without any major concerns for Thames Valley Police.

A number of officers from across Thames Valley Police were visible during the demonstrations as part of a pre-planned, comprehensive and proportionate policing operation.

The demonstrations, by the English Defence League and counter-protest groups, went to plan and caused minimal disruption to the communities of Aylesbury.

There were approximately 200 protestors in total on the day, but others visiting the town centre were able to go about their normal lives.

Two arrests were made by Thames Valley Police officers.

A 29 year old man from Manchester was arrested on suspicion of carrying an offensive weapon, but was later released with no further police action.

A 44 year old man from Waddeson was arrested on suspicion of affray.

Supt Olly Wright, LPA Commander for Aylesbury Vale, said: “I am pleased to say that the demonstrations have passed off without major incident.  

“Disruption has been kept to a minimum and I am ever so grateful for the support of local businesses and communities which made this possible.

“The success of the operation is down to the excellent work before and during the event by police, partner agencies and representatives of our communities.

“This was a proportionately planned policing operation, with enough resources for every eventuality, but I am pleased to say that we only had to deal with a few isolated incidents.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in our community, some of whom understandably had concerns about the demonstrations, for their cooperation and patience today.

“I am very proud to be the police commander for this community, who have typically responded in a really measured, balanced way.”

Diana Fawcett, Aylesbury's Town Centre Manager, issued this statement on the demonstrations:

"The demonstration started with a march by around 130 EDL supporters from Aylesbury magistrates’ court at 1pm through Market Square to Kingsbury, where there were speeches. The event ended at around 2.30pm and protesters returned to their coaches and cars, and to the railway station.

An anti-EDL protest, involving about 80 people, was contained by police. There were two isolated arrests for public order offences but the event passed without major incident.


Thank you all for your co-operation and support, and a special thank you to a very well executed Police operation."
Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Mix96