: Waiting for next track...

Mix96 News

Warning after lantern lands on Aylesbury roof

Bucks Fire have warned against their use after a call-out last night.

Published by Dan Gooding at 8:18am 9th November 2019. 2-minute read.

Warning after lantern lands on Aylesbury roof

A Chinese lantern has landed on the roof of a house in Aylesbury.

Bucks Fire & Rescue were called out to Weedon Road on Friday evening after the lantern, which was on fire, landed on a roof.

The flames were out on arrival.

The service has issued a warning, saying:

We do not recommend the use of Chinese lanterns, also known as flying lanterns and sky lanterns.

They are often made of paper, wire and bamboo and contain a lit candle, and can rise to more than 1,000 feet, fly for up to 20 minutes and float for miles before landing.

You can’t control the direction they take or where they will land, and there is no guarantee that the fuel source will be fully extinguished and cooled when the lantern lands.

Email Icon

Sign up for exclusive news, competitions and offers.
Proper Local News updates from Mix96